Development & Communications Manager
Reports To: President CEO
United Way of Whatcom County advances the common good by creating opportunities for a better life for all. Our focus is on the financial stability of families and individuals that struggle financially. We recruit people and organizations who bring the passion, expertise, and resources needed to get things done, and have worked for over 50 years to improve community conditions in Whatcom County. Through a variety of efforts including an annual workplace fundraising campaign, fund distribution activities, community assessments and cross-sector collaborations United Way of Whatcom County encourages others to give, advocate, volunteer and LIVE UNITED.
General Position Summary:
This position works closely with Workplace Development and Community Impact (DCI) Manager to execute resource development activities, marketing and communications management, donor relations and engagement strategies. Requires some flexibility to work non-traditional hours and some travel throughout Whatcom County.
- Research feasibility of new markets (Major Gifts, Grants, new donor groups) with the possibility of implementing new fundraising sources outside the Campaign.
- Manage Leadership and Major Gifts program including engagement serving as the point of contact.
- Provide presentations and engage in public speaking as needed.
- Design and create Direct Mail Campaign, including developing campaign correspondence in coordination with Workplace DCI Manager, solicitation letters, coordinate information for special donor groups.
- Design and create bulk mailings, including preparing materials and oversee postal procedures and staff/volunteer coordination.
- Manage events, including invitations, correspondence, and coordination of volunteers, guest registration, catering, and recognition items.
- Manage sponsorship outreach efforts cultivating funds and potential Loaned Executives and lead the corporate cultivation process that includes recruitment of new companies for resource development opportunities working closely with other staff and volunteers.
- Advance on-line giving working closely with the Workplace DCI Manager and evaluate mobile giving options.
- Other duties as assigned.
Marketing and Communications:
- Conduct a variety of community engagement tasks to connect the community with United Way's work including public speaking events, organizations, and public functions.
- Design, create, and oversee production of printed campaign materials and other printed communication pieces with input from the entire team.
- Manage all marketing and PR activities including generating and coordinating marketing and PR materials.
- Coordinate potential co-branding activities seeking possible connections and working with new community partners.
- Maintain branding and messaging standards.
- Responsible for organizational website, coordinating updates and content.
- Leads the collaborative process for design and is responsible for the creation and delivery of e-news correspondence, press releases, and training materials for other team members as needed.
- Manage social media activities which includes online presence.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local media professionals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Donor Relations and Engagement:
- Manage the donor relations activities to strengthen and gain information which includes the system of timely donor acknowledgements and strategies to ensure retention and growth.
- Execute the CRM action plan - prioritizing tasks and objectives that include developing strategies to link donor interests with organizational goals.
- Manage opportunities to deepen relationship through donor engagement experiences with volunteer projects.
- Work with agencies/programs as needed throughout the year depending on the needs of the Community Impact Committee.
- Assist with any new Community Impact efforts or projects as needed.
Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 30 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax, and computer. Reliable transportation required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five years' experience of successful fundraising or similar experience.
- From prior work experience(s), demonstrate the ability to work successfully in a dynamic team environment. Also demonstrate ability to provide excellent customer relations. Demonstrate ability to create positive and productive relationships with volunteers and illustrate examples of detail-orientated project management.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills (i.e. written, verbal)
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Database management and report generation.
- Organize, prioritize, and meet deadlins.
- Analyzing financial and statistical data.
- Budgeting and fiscal management.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter by Tuesday, July 16, 2019 to Dianne Bradshaw at: [email protected]