Development & Communications Manager
Reports To: President/CEO
Location: Bellingham, WA
United Way of Whatcom County works with a network of local nonprofits, businesses, and community stakeholders to enable financial stability for every person in our community. We do this by funding a vetted group of local agencies and programs working to provide basic needs, increase economic mobility, and break the cycle of poverty in Whatcom County.
We recruit people and organizations who bring the expertise and resources needed to get things done and who are passionate about improving community conditions in Whatcom County.
Our efforts include:
- Planning and executing an annual community-wide workplace fundraising campaign.
- Facilitating a community-inspired fund allocation process to distribute dollars raised each year.
- Engaging in community assessments and cross-sector collaborations to address specific issues our community is facing.
- Managing Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library free book gifting program.
- Using United For ALICE data to drive our work in supporting financial stability and guide our fundraising, communication, and messaging strategies.
- Encouraging Whatcom County community members and organizations to give, advocate, volunteer, and Live United.
This position works closely with the Workplace Development and Community Impact Manager to execute workplace campaigns and other resource development activities, including presenting information about United Way of Whatcom County’s work to a variety of stakeholders throughout the community.
The Development and Communications Manager is responsible for creating relevant and effective strategies, goals, and content with respect to marketing materials, educational presentations, and social media. This position will work closely with the President/CEO and the Development team to design and execute donor relation and engagement strategies, and on marketing, communications, social media, and brand management. Requires some flexibility to work non-traditional hours and some travel throughout Whatcom County.
This position is approximately 50% Development and 50% Communication and Marketing, with a heavy focus on fundraising from September – December each year.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work as part of the Development team to plan and execute annual fundraising efforts, including workplace giving campaigns.
- Provide presentations and engage in public speaking as needed.
- Research feasibility of new markets (major gifts, grants, new donor groups) with the possibility of implementing new fundraising sources outside the Campaign.
- Work closely with the Workplace Development and Community Impact Manger to build strategies to increase company and donor engagement, advance online giving, and attract new donors.
- Design and execute mail-based fundraising asks, including individual donor campaigns, lapsed donor letters, and additional donor/company outreach efforts as needed.
- Assist with sponsorship efforts and corporate cultivation processes to recruit new companies and expand United Way of Whatcom County’s donor base.
- Plan and manage events, including invitations, correspondence, coordination of volunteers, guest registration, catering, and recognition items.
- Other duties as assigned.
Marketing and Communications:
- Conduct a variety of community engagement tasks to connect the community with United Way of Whatcom County’s work including public speaking at events, organizations, and public functions.
- Design, create, and oversee production of printed campaign materials and other printed communication pieces with input from the team.
- Manage all marketing and PR activities including generating and coordinating advertising, marketing, and PR materials.
- Coordinate potential co-branding activities seeking possible connections and working with new community partners.
- Maintain branding and messaging standards.
- Manage organizational website, coordinating updates and content.
- Lead the collaborative process for design, creation, and delivery of e-newsletter correspondence, press releases, and training materials for other team members.
- Manage social media activities and online presence.
- Work with media professionals and marketing/design contractors as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Donor Relations and Engagement:
- Manage donor relations activities to strengthen relationships, including a system of timely donor acknowledgements and strategies for donor retention and growth.
- Prioritize tasks and objectives that include developing strategies to link donor interests with organizational goals.
- Manage opportunities to deepen relationships through donor engagement experiences with volunteer projects.
- Manage and facilitate all United Way partner agency meetings, working closely with the Workplace Development and Community Impact Manager on content.
- Collaborate with agencies and programs as needed throughout the year.
- Assist with Community Impact Panels and fund allocation process.
United Way of Whatcom County values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Diversity at United Way means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
Required: 1 – 3 years relevant experience
- Successful fundraising, community outreach, sales, or other similar experience
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a dynamic team environment
- Ability to create positive and productive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Relationship management and/or customer service experience
- Presentations and public speaking
- Detail-oriented project management
- Marketing, communications, and/or design
- Social media management
- Volunteer management
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Adaptable, flexible, and enthusiastic
- Positive attitude and growth mindset
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365
- Familiarity with database management and report generation helpful
- Willingness to learn new skills and technologies
- Ability to organize and prioritize projects and meet deadlines
The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation. Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, regularly transporting supplies and materials, occasionally moving boxes that weigh up to 30 pounds, regular use of computer, phone, copier, and other office equipment. Some travel throughout the county is required. Must be able to provide own transportation.
Full-time, exempt position with a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, paid vacation, sick time, and holidays. Salary range: $50,000 - $60,000 DOE
Submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
and tell us why you’re a great fit!
Position open until filled.