2017 Fund Distribution Volunteers
Education Panel Members:
Rebekah Duffy, CHAIR
Income Panel Members:
Pat Atkinson - CHAIR
Health Panel Members:
Phil Latendresse - CHAIR
What is the Fund Distribution Committee?
A group of community volunteers serve as members of the Fund Distribution Committee. The committee reviews all programs funded by the United Way of Whatcom County and gives recommendations for grants to the Board of Directors. Volunteers are divided into three groups and meet on either a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday afternoon for four weeks. Each panel is responsible for reviewing approximately 5-10 year-end reports and 3-6 new grant proposals with the following responsibilities:
1) Meet with agencies and listen to presentations to gain an understanding of their programs, outcomes, and impacts on the community.
2) Evaluate program funding proposals and year-end reports.
3) Recommend program grants based on current community issues and the program's ability to help United Way achieve specific community-wide goals.
One volunteer committee member had this to say about her experience:
".. an eye-opening and really positive experience. It allows volunteers to see what the Community Impact Fund is all about. Members get to actually talk to staff and see what goes on at other non-profit agencies. I would encourage anybody in the community to volunteer in the Fund Distribution process."
What is the Time Commitment and Schedule?
Each panel meets for 4 afternoons and is asked to read materials prior to panel meetings. Each panel member is expected to:
- Attend our Orientation Meeting - April date TBD
- Review program packets, attend panel meetings, and participate in group discussions about program requests
- Fill out program evaluation and feedback forms
- On the final meeting day provide input for funding to new program requests and determine funding status for program in the midst of 3-year funding cycle
2018 Fund Distribution Orientation Meeting:
TBD date in April - check back soon!
Whatcom Center for Philanthropy | 1500 Cornwall Ave | large conference room